Sewing a cover on a chair solves several problems at once. Firstly, with this protective product you can protect your furniture from contamination. Secondly – if this interior item is already old, then with the help of a cover you can reliably hide scuffs or stains. Thirdly, if you change the situation, then the new seat covers made by your own hands will help to transform the room in accordance with the changed style of the room.
Skirt trim gives a more delicate look to the product than formal sheathing. It is well suited to situations where you need to hide scratched or unattractive legs. Since the skirt is sewn separately, it is easy to make it, and it will be better to hold it if you hang it from the finished cover. It is worth noting that the manufacturing procedure is the same regardless of whether you sew a cover for a chair or sofa.
This page provides detailed step-by-step instructions on how to sew a chair cover on your own.
Sewing a cover on a chair with your own hands: fitting
Step 1: Fit on the pins of the inside of the chair
Before stitching the cover on the chair, you need to fit the inside of the back. This is done as follows:
- Unfold the uncut fabric on the inside of the back of the chair. The fabric should hang at least 2.5 cm to the outer back, unless you use a trim strip. In this case, the fabric should hang 10 cm.
- Fasten the fabric with a T-needle in the center of the back. Flatten the fabric, smoothing it to the sides, and then up and down.
- Make sure that the longitudinal thread of fabric runs perpendicular to the floor. Pin up from the center first, and then pin the sides. When working, continue to smooth and stretch the fabric.
- If you don’t need a trim strip, pin the fabric along the top edge of the back.
Next, to sew a cover on the chair, you need to make a strip-casing. This is a kind of fabric platform that runs along the top of the chair, connecting the inner and outer (back) parts of the back. The easiest way to close this zone is to pin it on pins as a continuation of the inside of the back.
- Pop a fold 2.5 cm deep along the upper edge of the inside of the back.
- To stitch the cover onto the chair with your own hands as carefully as possible, smooth the fabric on the platform. Start from the center and, working alternately: towards one or the other side, pop the fabric along the upper edge of the back of the chair.
Next, fit the seat.
- In the place where the fabric passes from the inner back of the chair to the seat, an additional 15-30 cm of fabric is required to “tuck”, bend it. The exact amount of fabric for this depends on the depth of the chair at this point. Use your hands to smooth the fabric between the back and the seat.
- Check the direction of the longitudinal threads of the fabric, then smooth and pin the platform of the seat in the same way as the inside of the back. First, pin the fabric evenly in the center, then on the sides, then the front and back edges of the platform.
The next step in sewing a cover on a chair with your own hands is the manufacture of a front apron.
- Lower the fabric down in front of the chair. Smooth and pin along the center line, then on the sides.
How to sew a chair cover on your own: trimming and cord finishing
Step 2: Clipping
- To stitch the cover onto the chair itself, cut the fabric 5 cm below the twill tape.
- Cut the fabric along the sides of the seat platform, leaving 15 cm of additional fabric so that you can tuck it where the seat connects to the inside of the side-armrests.
- Cut all other allowances for seams to 2.5 cm. Where you need to straighten and stretch the fabric, cut it.
Note. When you sew, the seam allowances will need to be cut to 12 mm.
Step 3: Cord Trim
- Pin the cord into place, around the inside of the back, along any seam line that needs to be trimmed. Cut the cord where you need to fit it to different recesses or corners. If you want, you can manually sweep the cord in place to make it easier to work with.
- If the cover has a strip-sheathing, then draw a weak dash on the fabric along the fold, then pin the cord into place along the seam line of one of the sections.
Finishing with a cord of a cover on a self-made chair is shown in the photo:
How to sew a seat cover on a chair with your own hands: fitting armrests
Step 4: Fitting the Armrests with Pins
To sew a cover on a chair with your own hands as the correct technology suggests, you need to fit the inside of the armrest.
- Center the fabric over the inside of the armrest. Fasten the fabric at the top of the armrest.
- Smooth down the fabric on the inside of the armrest. Pin along the side edge of the platform to fasten.
- Cut off the excess fabric, leaving an extra 15 cm to refill where the inside of the armrest and seat platform meet.
- If the chair has bends or rounded armrests, determine where there will be a seam that will connect the inside of the armrest to the outside. It should be located along the thickest part of the outer curve. Flip horizontally to mark the seam line.
Note. When making a chair cover, the seam on the armrest should not be absolutely horizontal to the floor. You may need to round it slightly so that it falls on the back of the armrest attachment.
- Trim the fabric just below the pins so that a 2.5 cm seam allowance remains. Pin the cord into place along the seam line.
- Do the same with the other armrest.
Next, to sew the covers on the chair, go to the front of the armrests.
- Lay the fabric in the center and pin it in front of the armrest.
- Trim the excess fabric so that seam allowances are 2.5 cm.
- Pin the cord along the seam line and trim, if necessary, along the bends.
Step 5: Fitting the Sidewalls with Pins
Note. If the armrests do not protrude between the outer part of the armrest and the shoulder area on the armchair or sofa that you are upholstering with fabric, then the shoulder area can be adjusted as simply extending the outer part of the armrest.
Sewing the cover on the chair with your own hands continues by making the outer part of the armrest.
- Lay the fabric in the center and pin it to the outside of the armrest.
- Unfold the fabric towards the outer edges, then up and down, pop the fabric along the sides and top, then along the twill tape.
- Trim the fabric 5 cm below the twill tape.
- Cut seam allowances to 2.5 cm.
See how to sew the armrests of the chair cover with your own hands in these photos:
- Center the fabric and pin it to your shoulder area.
- Smooth and pin the fabric along the sides, top and bottom edges.
- Cut seam allowances to 2.5 cm.
How to sew a cover on a chair with your own hands: sewing and fitting
Step 6: Sewing Using Pins
To make a chair cover as the correct technology suggests, you need to chop off all the parts, working in the same manner as when fitting on pins.
- For seams that include a cord, tuck the seam allowance 2.5 cm without the cord. Chip together the lines of the seams to align the seam allowances with the cord.
- Chip together the other seam allowances, connecting the front of the armrest and the inside of the armrest to the seat.
- Pin and then manually catch the cord along the seam line where the inside and outside of the back will connect.
Step 7: Fit on the back pins
- Lay in the center and pin the fabric to the outer back of the chair in the same way as you did with the inner back, then pin along the twill tape.
- Cut the fabric 5 cm below the twill tape; cut seam allowances to 2.5 cm.
- Chop the top edge of the outer back and pin up to bind the fabric to the inside of the back. Repeat the procedure with the side seams.
Step 8: Assembling the Case
- Pull out all the T-needles that secured the fabric to the chair. To make an opening for the zipper, split the rear side seam (the one on your right if you are facing the back of the chair) 5 cm from the top. Carefully remove the cover from the chair.
All seams will be stitched in the same order as they were chipped. Before you sew a stitch with a cord, pull and cut all the cords so that at the end of them there is 2.5 cm, so that your fabric will not grow bristled. Finishing each seam, cut seam allowances to 1.2 cm.
- Starting from the inside of the back, sew all the arrows, then stitch the trim strip to the inside of the back.
- Stitch the inside of the back to the inside of the armrests, cutting the fabric if necessary at the points of curvature and bending the fabric so that the seam lines coincide with the hem.
- Next, to sew the cover onto the chair yourself, stitch the front part of the armrest to the inside of the armrest, cutting the fabric if necessary in places of curvature.
- Sew the outside of the armrest to the inside of the armrest, then to the front of the armrest.
- Sew the platform to the inside of the armrest along the hem allowances (inversion).
- Stitch part of the shoulder area to the inside of the armrest, the inside of the back, and the trim strip.
- Stitch the outer part of the back to the top and sides of the cover, leaving the right side seam about 5 cm unstitched from the top. If you. close the opening with lightning, then wrap the allowances at the seams of the external back under the bottom and sweep. Do not cut the seam allowances along the zipper opening: their final width should be 2.5 cm.
- Once the entire cover is stitched, put it back on the chair or sofa. Chip off the zipper opening. Correct those parts of the fabric that need to be tucked (poke in) so that they are in place. Put the pillows on the chair.
This video demonstrates the assembly of a cover on a chair with your own hands:
How to make a chair cover: teasing trim and processing
Step 9: Pinning the cord or other trim to the bottom edge
- Use needles to mark the line for placing the cord. This line should fall to the place where the twill tape was pinned. Using a ruler, check to see if an equal distance from the floor is maintained everywhere.
- Raw edges should face the floor. Pin the cord (or other trim) along the marked seam line.
- To reduce the volume of the fabric in the place of the zipper opening, tighten and cut the cord to 2 cm. At the edge of the external back, in the place where the zipper should be, lay the ends of the cord inward, above the seam allowance.
- Remove the case and locate the cord in place on the typewriter. Trim the seam allowance to 1.2 cm.
Step 10: Bottom Edging
- Measure and record the distance around the chair along the line for sewing on the cord. You will need this distance to determine the length of the skirt.
- Measure 10 cm from each corner along the line of the cord; check it out. Measure and record the distance between each set of marks on the side, front, and back of the case.
- Measure from the sewing line of the cord to the floor. This size is the final depth of the skirt. Remove the cover from the chair.
- Hide along the oblique strip of fabric equal to the distance around the chair, plus 84 cm, plus 2.5 cm for each seam when stitching pieces. The depth of the strip should be two times greater than the depth of the finished skirt plus 2.5 cm.
- Sew the strips as needed and smooth the seams by straightening them. Then fold in half, facing each other and aligning the long ends. Sew the ends.
- Turn to the right side and smooth. Chip off, then sweep the top edges of the skirt together on a typewriter. Starting from one edge, divide and then mark as shown in the figure below.
- Assemble (assemble) the angle between the marks on a typewriter.
- Folding right side to each other, pin the skirt to the cover. On the right side of the zipper opening, align the finished edge of the skirt with the raw edge of the seam allowance; on the left side of the zipper opening, fold the seam allowance down and align it with the finished edge of the skirt.
- Align the remaining marks and tighten the assemblies to fit the fabric at the corners.
- Cut eight pieces of twill tape, each 20 cm long. Place the twill tape on the marks on each side of the corner marks on the bottom edge of the cover. Sew. Smooth the seam allowance towards the cover.
You can see how to sew a cover on a chair in these photos:
How to sew a cover on a chair with your own hands: installing a zipper (with video)
Step 11: Installing the Zipper
- Place the open zipper face down on top of the right side of the opening so that the zipper teeth slightly cover the edge of the cord, the zipper tape is inside the seam allowance. The end of the zipper should be 1.2 cm from the bottom edge of the skirt, and the end of the tape should be wrapped up.
- Pin up. Then sweep the zipper in place, grabbing only the cord and the stock allowance at the seams.
- Using the zipper foot, stitch the zipper, trying to make the stitch as close to the cord as possible.
- Close the zipper. Place the smoothed edge of the opening over the zipper so that it extends to the cord. Pin up, then sweep into place. Also, using the zipper foot, sew the seam through the bottom of the zipper, then sew down, not reaching 1.5 cm to the smoothed edge.
Step 12: Attach the Cover to the Chair
Wrap a twill tape around the legs and tie. To prevent the finished cover from slipping during use, fill the fold (fold) zones around the seat platform with scraps of fabric or tightly folded magazines.
To fix the material, watch the video “How to sew a cover on a chair with your own hands”:
home press on - a DIY Challenge
There are many different things on the house that may not be just the showing off you want them. This is one of the reasons why you agree to the become old to think of ways that will help you achieve the goals you set out for. You are the one who has a totally sure idea very nearly what things must look in the same way as in the stop and you must be positive you get there in the end.
This is one of the reasons why in view of that many people think virtually house onslaught and how they will be clever to make it case their needs better. There is no shortage of ideas and it will be simple to figure out which mannerism is best, but you have to be sure the results will be the ones you had in mind. Are you sure you can employ someone that shares your vision?
There are quite a few experts out there that you can call in the manner of it comes to houseimprovement, but you are never definite just about what they can dispatch until you will look the answer results. This uncertainty is one of the reasons why quite a few people decided that it is enlarged to try to handle the project upon their own instead of bringing in others for this.
You have to save in mind that there are many home move ahead projects you may not be adept to handle. If you desire to construct an enlargement to your home, if you want to convert a loft or amend the roof of the house, you infatuation an skilled who has over and done with it before. This happens because you must be determined the results pull off not collapse on completion.
When it comes to simpler tasks such as painting a wall for house renovation, this is one of the things you can reach on your own, no concern if youlack the experience in the field. You can assume the get older to learn as much as you can nearly this sort of tasks higher than the web and you can apply them to your own project hence you can get some unbelievable results. One of the things you have to keep in mind is the costs you will be competent to keep from the house renovation. past you do not have to pay for the labor, you can invest in the materials you will use. upon summit of it all, it will be fun to handle the project together in imitation of the family. You can get the results you had in mind and have fun in the process.
If you are looking for a little bit of inspiration for homerenovation, one of the first sites you should resign yourself to the period to visit is the one at homegravy.com. This is where you will find a lot of examples you can use, you can reveal the project you were a allowance of, but you will also be dexterous to locate experts you can employ for the complicated jobs regarding the house. Home progress - The Ultimate Transformation Of Your desire Place
"He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds goodwill in his home." - Johann Wolfgang von GoetheWhat you just log on is authentic to a fault. We all are in constant search of friendship & happiness and attempt anything it takes to reach both. If we are glad and peaceful in the outer world, but not in our own home, it is of no use. house is the ultimate place upon which we every depend for blissful solitude. Moreover, nothing can surpass the standards of happiness and tranquility that a home brings. It may hermetically sealed gone a home is man's basic obsession which doesn't operate his overall life, but it is definitely not the case. Our home plays an important role in enhancing our happiness and satisfaction gone life.
In stroke you are looking talk to to buy a new home,
make sure you are exact roughly hows, wheres, and whats of its each and all corner from the unconditionally coming on to prevent inconvenience later. Be it the embellishment or flooring & lighting, every element should be as per your needs for that reason that you have one area that gives you big peace and happiness, no concern what. There are grow old taking into consideration little things can tilt into huge issues in imitation of not supreme upon time.
Roof leakage, mold problems, and water damage are a few issues that can occur like era but next acted upon without delay, these problems can be prevented from turning into disasters. So, make sure you get into companies that settlement in this business to get the repairing decree ended as soon as possible.