Quilting technique sewing. Picture and video explanation
You can tell a lot about the quilting technique. But on this page this technique will be considered in combination with a patchwork. Quilting and patchwork are different types of needlework, but they are so closely related to each other that these concepts are often combined, considering one part of the other, or simply confused.
Where quilting originated is hard to say. Back in ancient Egypt, quilts were known. In Japan, peasants folded and quilted several old shabby jackets together to get a warmer item; the knights of medieval Europe quilted clothes made it easier to wear armor; English immigrants in America insulated and quilted quilts sewn from shreds; in Russia, quilted jackets stuffed with cotton or rags, now known as quilted jackets, saved from the cold.
Over time, the masters paid more and more attention to the aesthetics and beauty of the created thing, and purely practical quilting gradually acquired the features of art.
What is quilting on a sewing machine: the main lines
What is quilting on a sewing machine – is quilting a three-dimensional pattern, geometric (repeating) or fantasy. A quilt always consists of no less than three layers: the upper (decorative) layer, which creates the volume of the gasket (the synthetic winterizer is most often used now) and the lining (lower fabric). This combination is also called sandwich construction. The top fabric does not have to consist of shreds, it can be solid monophonic and the pattern on it will be completely created by stitches. In fact, each time putting on a down jacket or hiding with a quilt, we are dealing with a quilt.
The main types of stitches used in quilting on a sewing machine and in manual mode are:
- rectilinear (seams form straight lines intersecting parallel or intersecting under the heel);
- wavy (more decorative, in combination with a patchwork more often used to fill the background);
- sinuous, or fancy (in the machine patchwork this is a free-running seam when the stitch is made in different directions, creating a free, non-repeating pattern).
The straight-line stitch “seam to seam” is the easiest quilting technique, which is most often used in patchwork. A stitch is made at the seams of the patchwork pieces, emphasizing a colorful pattern.
Quilting patterns and step by step instructions
The following is a quilting master class for beginners using the example of sewing the patchwork block “diamond”. Follow the step by step instructions:
- Take a fabric of three different colors and a diamond-shaped pattern of any size. The larger the rhombus, the larger the patchwork block. The template can be made of cardboard, thick paper or buy ready-made.
- According to the pattern, cut a rhombus out of fabric, taking into account the seam allowance.
Important! Many of you know that different colors have different effects on our nervous system, mood, health and well-being. Therefore, when choosing fabrics for your products, try to choose colors that add vitality, give joy and optimism, activate creative energy, drive away sad thoughts and doubts.
- Measure the side of the rhombus and cut a strip of fabric of another color a little longer. The width of the strip can be any, depending on your plan. Fold the strip and rhombus with their faces facing each other, pin together with pins and sew a stitch.
- Fold the sewn strip to the front side and iron it.
- The second strip should be so long that it overlaps the first from above.
- Sew the bottom two strips in the same way, iron all seams. The first tier is ready.
- Following the quilting master class – sew the strips of the second tier in the same way.
The strips of fabric should always be longer than the side of the rhombus to which they are sewn, since when sewing at the top and bottom, an angle forms that must be completely closed.
- You got a patchwork block “diamond, on which we will consider the technology of quilting. Lay the “diamond” back side on the front side of the beige base fabric and pin it with pins. Carefully tuck the edges of the block and stitch along the very edge (the block is sewn using the application technique).
- To do this, first pin the block to the base with pins. Attach directly to the pins, carefully and slowly, so that the result is smooth and beautiful, since this seam will be on the front side.
- To lay a quilt, take a sintepon of small thickness. The next quilt layer is the lining. It can be plain, color or also in the style of patchwork, at your discretion.
Collect 3 layers of quilt: upper front – patchwork block “diamond”; the middle layer is a synthetic winterizer; back side is lining.
Following the quilting pattern, pin all layers throughout the canvas with pins.
The thicker the sintepon or gasket, the more difficult it is to quilted quilt. To quilt layers do not move relative to each other, they must be connected with pins over the entire area. The padding from the synthetic winterizer and the reverse side of the quilt must be cut a few centimeters more, since they shrink when the fabric is stitched.
When starting quilting with a stitch of a three-layer quilt, it is necessary to secure all layers not only with pins, but also with a needle and thread with a basting seam, starting necessarily from the middle of the canvas. Thus, we not only fix the layers together, but also align the entire canvas. If during the stitch some pins have to be removed so as not to interfere with the stitching, the product will still retain its shape.
- Sew along the stitch “forward needle” all three layers, starting from the center to the corners.
- Lay the first line along the very edge of the central rhombus with a seam in the groove.
The simplest quilting stitch on a sewing machine for beginners is a seam in a groove: the line runs along the sewing line of the shreds.
This is the wrong side of the block and the first stitched rhombus. To hide the ends of the threads after the stitch, tie them with a knot, put the remaining threads into the needle and wrap between the layers of fabric. Cut the ends of the threads.
- Stitch the stitch in the groove between the first white “circle” and the next gray-blue. Fasten and hide the ends of the threads.
- Then sew the stitch with the same seam between the blue and gray fabric and the beige. All 3 layers of our patchwork block are connected. Now you can make decorative seams – stitches in the center – along the blue field of the block.
To highlight sections of the block, the threads for the stitches should be taken in a contrasting color.
Lay several seams parallel to the sides of the rhombus. When the cloth is quilted, nothing is ironed, since the bulge and the unique quilt effect are violated. On the seamy side of the quilt, you can clearly see how the stitch passes.
Following the step-by-step quilting master class for beginners, you can easily sew a finished product.
If you want to make a more voluminous quilt, take a denser synthetic winterizer, it has a gradation – from 100 or more. When using a thicker pad, the product will look more voluminous, and the stitch will be almost invisible.
In fact, the stitch can be laid as you like, for example, the central rhombus can be filled not with straight lines, but with wavy ones. I often quilted my products manually with a “forward needle” stitch in a fancy pattern, and very unusual works are obtained.
In conclusion, watch a video about quilting, where all sewing techniques are demonstrated in detail:
Some Ideas For simple Crafts That Can affix a Child's CreativityEasy crafts for children are good because they generally succeed in keeping toddlers busy, not afire a hole in one's pocket at the same time. They are certainly entertaining, still very productive. In this article, one will locate some good simple crafts that can be applied to kids all higher than the world.
Rock painting: It's a unquestionably modest, antiquated fashioned craft for kids, but conventional at the same time. The adjacent epoch one wants nearly the neighborhood, otherwise of walking just ambiguously, one should attempt to locate some swap size stones or pebbles, collect them and bring them home. subsequently along like the kids, one can carry them all in the backyard and wash them fully gone water and a brush.
The stones and pebbles are good to be drawn and meant on. craft paint can be used extremelyeffectively upon it. Even acrylic paints can be used to paint designs on them. A variety of designs, shapes and colours can be used. One has every the forgiveness to use one's creativity to the fullest and make something pretty and attractive.
Collage picture: this can be attempted by children a little older. Any packet, considering a breakfast cereal packet can be used to make it. One can build up together all sorts of unfamiliar and ends. outmoded magazines that no one reads can have their pictures clip out, bits of gorgeous ribbons, old buttons, cotton wool, unfamiliar bits of fabric and in reality everything that is not too thick can be used to garnish and ornament.
Parents can have a good timemaking a collage behind their kids. The kids can be entrusted in the same way as the feign of tearing photos and all else and sticking them in the manner of glue. One may habit to assist them cut things considering the fabric. This is a in reality great pretension to enhance a child's creativity and imagination and after that achievement upon their motor skills using the glue glue and scissors.
Paper platefaces: Paper plates are common in parties and outings. However, here instead of just disposing them, one can allow them to the kids to create a perspective of someone they know. Pipe cleaners and various size buttons and ribbonsamid supplementary things can be used to make eyes, nose, ears and mouth. For hair, knitting wool can be used, or anything,as long as it sticks. children comprehensibly adore making paper dish faces. Parents should attempt newer and newer ventures to display their child's creativity.
Hand-Made Crafts - Handicraft Items Made From alternating Materials
Crafts have been made in the entire world previously a totally long time. There are many forms of crafts which are available. There was a time next these artwork were practised as profession, but now more and more people practise it as a commotion also. These hand made arts put it on can be categorised into many forms and types. The major forms of crafts in the world are textile crafts, paper , decorative , fashion and functional crafts.
Many Categories of Hand-Made CraftsAny form of hand made pretense where you accomplishment later than the fabrics, yarn or surface design comes under the category of textile crafts. These put in yarning, knitting and quilting and weaving. Dyeing is afterward one of the renowned forms of crafts. all these are also forms of hand-made crafts which are certainly captivating to the creative mind as they dye flows freely across the fabric. Textile work are creature made every over the world past medieval times. Many of such crafts if found today are considered to be antique.
Another well-knownform of prehistoric art-work which are found today is the paper crafts. As the declare suggests these artwork are made from paper. Calligraphy, papermaking comes under the category of paper crafts. These moreover supplement decorative crafts taking into consideration furniture making, metal work, stencilling, stained glass, gilding, and surface design of walls.
There are many online galleries and public exhibition galleries where these obsolete handicrafts are displayed to the public. Antiques then come in many vary forms and shapes in the same way as masks, toys, games, clothes, armours and new artefacts.